Heidi & Shawn
Walnut Creek, California
Q & A with the Bride:
1. What was the one thing about your venue that made you know it was the one?
That is a tough one. It was a balancing act between budget and location. I always knew that I wanted a garden wedding. The Gardens at Heather Farms just hit everything we were looking for including location (near both of our families), beautiful rose garden for the ceremony as well as an amazing backdrop for a wedding. I also grew up playing tennis across the street, so the site felt very comfortable.
2. Which three details from your wedding were your favorites?
1. All of our DIY projects, especially the centerpieces and the flowers. Most of the centerpieces were galvanized pots filled with succulents my mom, Shawn and I had been collecting over the last year. For the flowers, my mom and aunt made all of the bridal bouquets, which were so beautiful. The bridal bouquets did double duty for the wedding and as centerpieces for the bridal party tables. We put them in antique mason jars we had found. My mom, aunt and family also made all the floral arrangements for some of the guest tables and key tables at the reception.
2. The photo booth. This was a splurge for us as far as budget goes, and it was so worth it! Almost all the guests got involved and the pictures are classic! These pics also served as part of the guest book.
3. Mason jar wine glasses! Shawn and I hunted all of Oakland looking for different glass candlesticks to make what has become known as “white trash wine glasses.” Each candlestick had beads in our wedding colors (purple, green and silver) and was glued to a mason jar. We wanted something special for our parents, best woman, maid of honor, and matron of honor as they gave their toasts. They were all very excited to take them home as well. Such a conversation starter!
3. Give us the one moment in your wedding day you can’t stop thinking about.
This is the hardest question of all! Especially since we were surrounded by our closest family and friends, which meant the world to me! If I have to choose only one out of a fabulous day, it was spending so much time with my now husband without having to worry about anything. All the stress was gone and Friday the 13th over (my wedding bag with my planning book, journal, joint check book, cash for tips, marriage license was stolen at the rehearsal the day before but did not realize it until Friday the 13th. We spent most of the day trying to amend what had been lost). I’m not usually big on PDA, but after all the wedding planning and the day finally arriving, we were just inseparable and really had the best time! I almost giggled as I remembered advice I had been give by several people to make sure to take moments away from the wedding for just Shawn and I that was definitely not a problem!