Chika and Joseph were married in a traditional church ceremony at St. Mary’s Catholic followed by a reception at Greensboro Downtown Marriott in Greensboro, N.C. on July 19. The bride wore a strapless sweetheart ball gown with a ruched bodice and tulle skirt, accessorized with her hair in an updo, jeweled headpiece, floor-length veil, and a pair of Jimmy Choo glitter high heels, while the groom wore a navy blue tuxedo with black lapes, accessorized with a bow tie. Bridesmaids wore long one-shoulder navy blue chiffon dresses and carried bouquets of roses, lillies, lisanthus, and geraniums. Despite the rain showers hovering overhead, the ceremony took place at 1 o’clock inside the sanctuary, featuring high-pitched ceilings with wooden arch beams. Only close family and friends sat in pews, decorated with ribbon, and an altar with two of the exact same upholstered chairs, to witness the exchanging of vows. Once it was sealed with a kiss, it was official! Cocktail hour began in the hotel’s hallways with dinner and dancing in the ballroom shortly thereafter. Tables were decorated with gold sequin linens, red napkins, floating candle centerpieces, and lanterns. For extra entertainment, Nigerian performers arrived as a surprise. Fun fact: it paid homage to the newlyweds’ country. Even money was thrown in the air! A three-tiered cake was served for dessert during the toasts. Not a dry eye could be found the rest of the night.
1. What was the one thing about your venue that made you know it was the one?
The tall ceilings! St. Marys of the Woods’ O’Shaughnessy Hall is absolutely gorgeous. I always wanted tall ceiling at my wedding venue and this was perfect touch.
2. Which three details from your wedding were your favorites?
1. Peonies: I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to get them or not, and a couple days before the wedding, we were able to get them for the arrangements!
2. Favors: My mom and I made all of the jam and covered and tied the tags on. I’m not a super creative person, and I was glad that I was able to do something that everyone loved!
3. Stationary: I loved all of the stationary that Pink Poppy Ink did for the wedding. From the invitations to menus, programs and eventhe seating sign!
3. Give us the one moment from your wedding you can’t stop thinking about.
The moment we were announced husband and wife, and we walked down the aisle together. After the ceremony, we got to spend a few minutes together alone. It was so amazing to just be together since the day is so hectic leading up to that point! Plus, my dad doing a kick line to the beach boys at the reception!