Let’s face it, everyone is a sucker for a romantic love story. Do you find yourself reminiscing about the time your fiance got down on one knee to pop the question? Hurry over to WeddingWire’s SpringBook 2014 to read the proposal stories of how 13 brides got engaged, and bonus: the engagement ring styles most are rocking.
Photo by Servidone Studios
You probably want to shout the news of your engagement from the rooftops. And while that may be an option, there are more efficient ways to share your big news. Here’s the right way to do it.
1. Tell Your VIPs Some couples prefer to enjoy a few private days of being engaged before spreading the word, while others want to share the news right away. However you decide to proceed, be sure to tell your closest family members and friends first – preferably in person, or, if there’s a long distance between you, by phone. Usually the bride’s family is the first to know, then the groom’s, then close relatives and friends. As you’re telling family and friends, let them know to keep the news off Facebook and Twitter until you give them the go-ahead. It may take a few days to get in touch with all of the people you want to tell via phone or in person, so be patient!
2. Get Formal The most traditional way to announce your engagement is to send out formal engagement announcements and/or place an ad in a local newspaper. While you certainly don’t have to go this route, it’s commonplace in some areas, so feel free to go for it! Check out some announcement cards in our photo gallery.
3. Have a Party Engagement parties are a fun way to celebrate your exciting news. You can go a few routes with this: you or either set of parents can throw a party, or your friends may offer to throw a celebration. It’s important to note that if you or your parents are hosting, you should only invite guests who you fully intend to invite to the wedding. If your friends are hosting, they can be more lax with the guest list. We recommend keeping things relatively casual for your engagement celebration – a cocktail reception at a favorite restaurant or a backyard BBQ, rather than a formal event at a grand space. Find vendors for your engagement party on EventWire.
4. Set Up a Site If you’ve got a great proposal story (and really, who doesn’t?), share it on your wedding website. The link to this site should only be provided to those who are actually invited to your wedding, though.
5. Take Some Pictures Set up an engagement session with your photographer, once you’ve booked him or her. You can use the photos for save-the-dates, your wedding website, and at your wedding itself.
How are you announcing your engagement? Let us know in the comments!
Philadelphia Couples, share your Engagement Story for a chance to win over $5,000 in prizes!
Contest registration ends at 11:59pm on Wednesday, February 2.
Click here for contest rules and entry. Good luck!
With our contest, Philly’s Best Engagement Story, coming to an end and with Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I thought we could help the guys out and offer a few proposal ideas! Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Gather a bunch of your friends and family for a party. Have everyone in attendance put on a T-shirt bearing one of the letters in the phrase “Will You Marry Me?” When you walk in the room with your girlfriend, suggest a group picture and let the shirts speak for themselves!
2. If you have a friend who is a police officer, ask for his help in your plan. As you and your girlfriend are driving, the officer will pull you over for an unknown offense, asking you both to step out of the vehicle. The plan continues as the officer begins to arrest you after finding $1500 in unpaid tickets! As he begins to cuff you, he asks you to get down on your knee and face your girlfriend…surprise!
3. Send her on a scavenger hunt of all the important places you two have shared around town. The last clue should lead to you on one knee!
4. Plan a vacation to someplace exotic, like Costa Rica, with the intention of simply taking a break from work and life, in general. Take her for a romantic walk on the beach at sunset, express your love and ask her to be your wife!
Good luck guys!