In honor of Earth Day on Monday, we’re sharing our ideas to help you plan a green wedding. If you didn’t know, a green wedding is when a couple opts out for environmentally friendly alternatives from the dress to the cake. Here are 4 ways to shrink your carbon footprint–in other words, reduce, reuse and recycle:
Save trees by choosing invitations that are plantable or nix invitations altogether and send Evites through your personalized wedding website.
Photo: Christa Elyce Photography
Get Eco-Friendly with your Save-the-Dates by printing them on FSC certified paper! Here are a few we found, but there are HUNDREDS of distributors that now print “green”!
1. SteelPetalPress (Letterpress printed on 100% recycled rag paper)
2. PapierLapin (Items are printed digitally using 100lb FSC certified papers manufactured with wind power and 100% post consumer fiber)
3. LaurenLoweDesign (They are printed on 110 lb brown fiber card stock made with Green-e renewable energy this paper contains FSC certified 100 percent post consumer fiber. No new trees are used)
4. Minted.com (Premium 100% Recycled Paper. FSC-certified, 100% post-consumer waste manufactured with wind-power)
In honor of Earth Day this month we will be featuring several eco-friendly themed posts. We’re very excited and hope you’ll find the information useful and even incorporate some of it into your own wedding.
As some of you may or may not know, we have incorporated Carbonfund.org’s weddings carbon calculator into our wedding websites to allow you and your guests to calculate carbon footprints and contribute jointly in offsetting the wedding, making it a carbon neutral event. (Read our previous post here.)
This year we’re helping them spread the word about their Million Tree Challenge!
The WeddingWire team has already contributed and we’re very excited!
Here’s a bit of information to inspire you to help out as well.
Deforestation is responsible for about 20% of global warming. Reforestation is a critical part of the solution.
Planting trees benefits everyone:
- Absorbs carbon dioxide to reduce climate change
- Improves air quality
- Preserves biodiversity
- Controls flooding by minimizing runoff and topsoil loss
- Provides habitat and nutrition for wildlife
- Creates jobs managing tree nurseries, planting and care
It’s easy to get involved. For just $1 per tree, you can make an impact.
For example, plant a tree for every:
- Employee in your company
- Mile you commute to work
- Member of your family
- Vehicle you own
We hope everyone does their part to make our planet a better place!
Help us save the Earth, one tree at a time! Go here for more information and to plant a tree: http://www.carbonfund.org/trees
Carbonfund.org is the leading nonprofit carbon reduction and climate solutions organization, making it easy and affordable for individuals, businesses and organizations to reduce their climate impact by supporting third-party validated renewable energy, energy efficiency and reforestation projects. Carbonfund.org has over 450,000 individual supporters and works with over 1,300 business and nonprofit partners including Motorola, Amtrak, Staples, Discovery, Volkswagen, Dell, and JetBlue. Please visit www.carbonfund.org.