Shannon and Steve were married at Tivoli Tool! in Laguna Beach, Calif on September 15. The couple opted to have a first look prior to the ceremony with the sand between their toes along the Pacific Ocean. Shannon wore a sweetheart ruched wedding gown accented with a beaded embellishment and carried a eco-friendly bouquet of succulents, roses, dahlias, berries, and scabiosa pods. To make her maid of honor stand out, she wore a coral chiffon dress whereas her bridesmaids wore aqua chiffon dresses. Steve said “I do” to his bride in the garden courtyard next to a waterfall backdrop. Guests were escorted to their seats with ombre tags attached to vintage keys. As the sun set, twinkling lights and heart-shaped paper decor hung overhead as the newlyweds performed their first dance and cut the three-tiered wedding cake topped with glittery signage.
1. What was the one thing about your venue that made you know it was the one?
Markus and I wanted a quiet, secluded, private venue for our wedding ceremony and reception. We also wanted our venue to serve as a hub where our families could meet, mingle, relax, bliss out, and get to know one another (they had not met before our wedding!) A private residence seemed to be the best fit for our needs, so we looked up homes on VRBO.com. After visiting several in Malibu, we settled on our original venue because of the exceptional attention to detail that the owners paid to the building of their home, which had just been completed, and because it was completely off the grid (solar and wind powered, and had its own septic system). And the VIEW. The view was 180 degrees of pure coastal beauty. It was everything we wanted and everything we never anticipated we would want.
After the fire, Markus and I scrambled to find a venue that would match in every way (we had built our wedding’s visual theme around that house’s unique Moroccan flair, and we had settled on a functional theme of green/eco-concious in regards to our vendors and decorations). But sadly, due to budgetary constraints, and the timing (a mere two months before our wedding date and at the peak of wedding season), we couldn’t find anything that came even close. We had a few kind offers from family and friends to have the wedding at their homes, but Markus and I said, “Why not just have it at ours? We love our apartment.” We love it so much we LIVE THERE. So we settled on having the ceremony in our little courtyard, and the reception at a favorite restaurant (Off Vine in Hollywood – a venue which, coincidentally, had also burned down – in 2008 – and was rebuilt and reopened a few years later).
Looking back at our choice, I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. We feel at peace and in our element at our home. We felt pride being able to host our own wedding in such a beautiful space with our closest family and friends.
2. Which three details from your wedding were your favorites?
1. I love that after everything we went through to plan and re-plan a wedding, we both agree that we wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. We grew together in the process and are still hearing how beautiful and intimate it was from our family and friends.
2. Having my father be able to walk me down the aisle. My father has no cartilage in his ankles, and at several points over the last year and a half I was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to walk with me, but this past year has been exceptionally kind to him, health-wise – his mobility and energy have improved immensely – so he was able to be right there with me (and my mom!) walking with me towards my future.
3. When I got the pictures back from Yair, we came across one of the groomsmen during the ceremony (as we were saying our vows) and not one…not two…but THREE were clearly emotional. Knowing that our family and friends were right there with us, feeling the gravity of the occasion is such a beautiful gift and definitely reflects how we felt that day.
3. Give us the one moment in your wedding day you can’t stop thinking about.
My husband’s vows. They were awesome. They inspired laughter and tears, and they were completely organic to our relationship.