Katie & Sterling
Q & A with the Bride:
1. What was the one thing about your venue that made you know it was the one?
Morris Arboretum has an amazing area called “Out on a Limb.” It is a series of walkways built through a canopy of trees 50 feet off the ground that can be used for the cocktail hour. It was so unique, and we didn’t see anything else like it at any other venue. We looked at a lot of places, but we kept on coming back to Morris.
2. Which three details from your wedding were your favorites?
1. First Look – we did a first look, and I can’t recommend it enough! It was so wonderful to get to see each other and have a minute to laugh, cry and talk. By the time we got to the ceremony, we felt calm and ready!
2. Ceremony Songs – we spent a long time picking out the music for the ceremony. Because we were getting married at the arboretum, we didn’t want music that was too “churchy.” We ended up using “Sea of Love” by Cat Power for the processional, “I Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Ingrid Michaelson for the entrance of the bride, and “Bright Side of the Road” by Van Morrison for the recessional. We loved having songs that showed our personality and felt special to us!
3. The Cakes – instead of doing one big wedding cake, we decided to have five smaller cakes and other bite-sized desserts. We put the cakes on tree stumps we cut ourselves and decorated them with flowers. I loved how it looked. I think it was the most successful DIY aspect of the wedding.
3. Give us the one moment from your wedding that you can’t stop thinking about.
For the last song, our DJ played “Wagon Wheel,” which is a special song for me and my college friends, many of whom had traveled from far away to be at our wedding. Everybody spontaneously formed a big circle around the dance floor, and Sterling and I had one last dance together. It was so amazing to look around and see everyone we loved there together for us. I’ll never forget it!