Sponsored by Perfect Circle® Jewelry Insurance
Many couples move to a new home after their wedding. While it’s certainly an exciting time, it’s important to be careful about how you pack your jewelry. With all the stress and activity that comes with packing and unpacking, jewelry loss, damage and theft is common. Here are some top tips to keep your valuables safe from Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company, provider of Perfect Circle® Jewelry Insurance.
- Do not pack valuable jewelry in boxes or in storage. It can get lost with other items or stolen. If you’re moving locally, keep valuable items in a safety deposit box at a bank until you’re settled in and ready to retrieve them. If you’re moving a long distance, keep valuable jewelry with you.
- Don’t wear jewelry while you’re packing, unpacking, or doing heavy lifting. You may damage, bend, scratch, or chip valuable stones.
- Pack earrings, necklaces, and bracelets separately so they don’t get tangled together. We like individual small storage bags.
- Keep track of your items. Take a picture of each piece and created a list, tracking descriptions and serial numbers for each item. Make two copies of the list – take one with you when you move, and store the other one in a safety deposit box.
- Make sure your valuable items have been recently appraised to reflect their current values and replacement costs – and adjust your coverage accordingly. Make copies of appraisals and receipts – again, keep one copy with you, the other in a safety deposit box.
- Your jewelry should be properly insured. If your jewelry is insured under your homeowners’ or rental policy, it may only be insured up to $1,000 and may not cover mysterious disappearance.
For more information on protecting your jewelry, visit PerfectCircleInsurance.com to get a free, no-obligation quote.